Saturday 6 December 2014

Temple tales

I spent two years of my childhood in a small town called Chalisgoan, in Maharashtra. Both my maternal and paternal grandparents lived there. In Marathi, we call our grandparents Aji and Azoba. The years that I spent with my Ajis and Azobas were the most enriching in my life. There is this special type of love and care, that only grandparents are capable of !

During those days, most of the outings with my grandparents were to temples. If we were short on time, we'd go to a temple nearby and if we had the whole day, we'd pack our lunch and go to temples around the town. Ever since that time, I have a fascination for temples. There was an ancient temple called Patnadevi, which was my favorite !

I was always told, that God is in everyone of us,he is omnipresent, but somehow, I always felt a stronger presence in the temples and other places of worship. I assumed, it was the ambiance of the place - the deity, devotional music, incense, flowers and all, that contributed to the experience. All that did, but there was one more thing which I was unaware of until recently. It was the temple architecture of ancient India.

The ancient Indian temples were based on combinations of symbolic figures, which signified a summery of the universe and a center of energy.The cosmos is represented by mathematical formulas. Everything that exists can be reduced to proportions (ratios)between energy elements that can be measured, whether they are planets, atoms, matter or life. The temple architecture was a branch of science in itself. Where specific rules were laid down for selecting the site to building the structure, however, the aesthetics were left to the artisans. The Vedic temples were designed to be more than mere places of worship and meditation, they were built strategically at places where the positive cosmic energy is in abundance because of the magnetic and electric fields.

The ancient Indians believed that there are five energy sources- water, air, fire, space and earth. These elements played an important part in the design,construction and rituals of a temple. If these five elements are placed as specified by the Vedic science,it can turn the temples into powerhouses of positive energy. It can harness the solar energy from the sun & the magnetic energy from the earth. That's why when we go to temples, particularly the ancient ones, we feel the vibrations of positive energy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_temple_architecture

These days, most of us are lost between the malls,movies, restaurants and markets. But I have decided to make an effort, any try and take my kids to see ancient temples as often as possible, because I want them to experience the divine energy in these splendid works of art.

~ Poonam Patil Kalra


No comments:

Post a Comment